Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Before and After: Kids' Bathroom

We rented this house for a year with no thought of actually purchasing it at first.  It was just a blessing to have a rental at a reasonable price, that would fit all ten of us.  After living in the house, though, it really grew on us, and even though it was in need of a lot of work (major and cosmetic), the Lord allowed us to buy it last May from our friend and landlord at a reasonable price.  Since then, it's been a constant rhythm of projects, big and small. At times not much work has gotten done, and other times it seems like we have worn ourselves out working hard.  The Lord has used the unfinished and 'in process' appearance of our house to humble me: a perfectionist who loves to decorate and have everything look pretty and polished.

Our latest (and longest ongoing) project has been the kids' bathroom (and guest bath). This room was an original 1978 mess: brown tile everywhere, ugly dated wallpaper, carpet (can't stand carpet in a bathroom---especially with little boys!! Ewww). The tile surround in the shower had had water leakage behind it so the room smelled moldy.  Sure enough, when our tile guy demo'd it, he ended up delaying work a day so he could douse everything with bleach to kill all the mold.  

As of the wee hours of this morning (!), Kevin and I have pretty much finished with the room. The only thing left to do is a little bit of paint touch-up, and I will refinish the cabinets with Rustoleum Cabinet Transformations. They'll be a country white, so try to imagine them in the following photos!  Also, imagine I had three light bulbs for the fixture instead of one.  :)  Forgive the fuzzy pictures.  All I have time for this morning is uploading photos from my phone.  

Before....




And, After....







I don't know if I would have chosen the same paint color if the countertop had been in when I was trying it out.  I think we can live with the grey and tannish color, though.

I have much to do in the kitchen (as I'm sure most of you do), so I'm off the computer and into the kitchen.  Happy Thanksgiving!  Have a wonderful day of family and food and giving thanks to the One from whom all blessings flow!

2 comments:

Heather L. said...

That's wonderful that you two can do so much of this yourself!!! It looks terrific!

Anne said...

What a great improvement!! Nice job! :)